Team Captains Corner
- PATCO Start Team Tents: Reserve yours by August 31.
These are available to teams with at least 50 members + $150 fee. (There are additional requirements for those providing rider numbers at their tent Ride morning.) Click here for all requirements, details and to reserve your space. Requirements are nonnegotiable.
- Rider Expo: We are back at XFINITY Live! Philadelphia. Taking place only one month out from City to Shore, this is the perfect opportunity to get your team together to learn everything they need to know before hitting the road. Whether a rookie or veteran cyclist in City to Shore, the Expo has something for everyone!
- Have any team members that still haven’t taken the plunge and registered? Bring them out and let us help you get them on board -- plus, we will be offering a discounted registration at the Expo!
- See the article below on an opportunity that cyclists will have to win a FREE BIKE at the Rider Expo! Don't miss out.
- Safe & Courteous Cycling Behavior: It's YOUR responsibility...
With 80% of Bike MS cyclists riding with a team, team captains play an important role in providing a well-run, well-supported, safe and enjoyable Ride. We count on YOU to reiterate the importance of safe and courteous cycling behavior to your members and need your help. All teams are expected to have 10% of your members listed as a Responsible Cyclist, and receive the Team Safety Awareness Award in December.
Promote the Group Riding Skills courses to both new and veteran team members to ensure you and your team members -- wearing your team jerseys Ride weekend -- are noticed for impeccable cycling behavior (and not the opposite). Thanks for your support!
***To celebrate our 10th year of the Safety Program, cyclists who attend a Group Riding Skills Course will receive a pair of Bike MS: City to Shore branded cycling socks, courtesy of Quality Concepts.
- Win a tent for your team at the Ocean City Finish Line: The Ocean City Finish Line is the best party in town Ride weekend, and you could win a dedicated tent for your team to gather and celebrate in! All teams who recruit 5 members before the registration fee increase on August 25 will be entered to win. For every 5 members your team recruits you will be entered for more chances to win!
- Reminder: Registration will increase to $75 on August 25, so make sure your team members take advantage of the current rate and help you win this awesome incentive.
- Contact us today if you would like any of your previous years’ rosters to reach out to any of your team members!
- Utilize the Know Your Networks worksheet to help identify people who may be interested in joining your team.
Make an Impact for a Chance to Earn a New Bike!
In 2014, City to Shore cyclists raised a record-breaking $6.5 million. As of today, we are 19% of the way back to that incredible amount.
With less than two months left until City to Shore, we need your help if we are going to raise that amount again!
This year, cyclists have the opportunity to win a brand new bike while working together to create a world free of MS!
Our first-year partner, Trek Bikes is offering an additional incentive to reach VIP status. All cyclists who reach VIP status by the Rider Expo on August 21 will be entered to win a brand new, Trek FX bike in "Roarange" (pictured at right).
Did you know: The average City to Shore cyclist raises $750? Go the extra mile and be entered to win this amazing bike AND receive all of the incredible City to Shore VIP benefits.
***Visit our Tips and Tools page for lots of incredible resources to help you in your fundraising efforts!
Make sure you download the Bike MS mobile app (iPhone | Android) to help you fundraise on the go!
Did you know: You can send out a fundraising text to anyone in your address book, right from the app! The text will take them right to your page, making donating easier than ever.
Congratulations to cyclists who hit the $500 mark and will receive this year’s commemorative long-sleeve T-shirt. We are still in the process of entering donations that were turned in offline by the 8/1 deadline, and we will have an updated list on our website after 8/11. Cyclists who qualified will receive their long-sleeve in the mail later this month.
Save Time Ride Morning: Receive Your Rider Number in Advance
Reach your $300 minimum in advance, and save yourself some time Ride morning by taking advantage of the multiple ways to receive your rider number before the Ride!
- At the Rider Expo, presented by XFINITY Live! Philadelphia, on August 21. Plus, 2016 VIPs can pick up their reserved gold rider number and 2017 VIPs can pick up their jersey as well!
The Expo is a great place to hand in any additional donations you may have received as well! Don’t wait to mail them or stand in line Ride morning to turn them in.
Let us collect them at the Expo and get them added to your fundraising total in advance!
- In the mail after Labor Day: if Bike MS has received your required $300 in donations by August 31
- Personally delivered during the month of September if you are a member of the Top 250
We must have received your $300 in confirmed donations by each deadline to qualify. Matching gifts do not count towards receiving your rider number, unless the National MS Society has received the actual funds from the company by these dates. Click here for details on receiving your rider number and for more information on turning in donations.
Mandatory Bike Inspections
Reminder: Bike inspections are available at sponsoring bike shops August 18-September 22 and at Group Riding Skills courses during the month of September (see article below for details).
These inspections are at no cost to the cyclists and are mandatory for anyone wishing to receive free bike maintenance throughout Ride weekend. Click here for more information on bike inspections.
Access your Free Bike Inspection coupon, plus many more great promotions, in your Virtual Goodie Bag.
Safe & Courteous Cycling - Take Action
It is important that each and every cyclist set a good example - from the time you arrive at your start location, to the time you cross the finish line - by following the rules of the road and respecting the communities we ride through, in addition to being respectful and courteous to your fellow cyclists and supporting volunteers. Each individual makes an impact - good or bad. Bike MS provides the necessary tools, but it's up to YOU to ride safely and courteously Ride weekend.
TAKE ACTION. Be a Responsible Cyclist (RC) at City to Shore.
Congratulations to Our Anniversary Cyclists
Congratulations to the cyclists who are celebrating a milestone year (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 years riding), and thanks for your continued commitment. Anniversary cyclists have played an integral role in helping the ride grow over the years. If you would like a commemorative plaque, please complete our online form by December 31.
How Your Fundraising Helps
The dollars you raise fund research breakthroughs that change the world for people affected by MS. One groundbreaking clinical trial could potentially lead to a new treatment. A phase 3 trial with more than 1,000 people with MS will investigate whether simvastatin, an inexpensive cholesterol lowering drug, could become a treatment for people with secondary progressive MS.
The clinical trial is being funded by a collaboration of the National MS Society, the MS Society (U.K.), the National Institute for Health Research (U.K.), the National Health Service (U.K.) and U.K. universities.
The research will be led by Dr. Jeremy Chataway, University College London Institute of Neurology. "This drug holds incredible promise for the thousands of people living with secondary progressive MS … who currently have few options for treatments that have an effect on disability," says Dr. Chataway.
Learn more in the National MS Society's "Breakthrough MS" quarterly update.
2017 Deadlines & Reminders
Make sure you are in the know about housing, money
turn-in deadlines, Bike MS event and more. Click here for a full list
of 2017 important dates and deadlines.
1. UPHS/PENN, $80,634
2. SCREENS N SPOKES, $51,070
3. Jersey's Team, $31,420
4. Not Rocket Science,
5. Team Ox, $23,594
1. Garry Scheib, $35,485
2. Ian Harris, $31,700
3. Dominique Calabrese,
4. Jack Beiter, $13,465
5. Joseph Grabowski, $11,000
1. UPHS/PENN, 298
2. Team Ox, 90
3. Team Comcast, 76
4. Team NFI, 76
5. Jersey's Team, 70
Click here to see the Top Teams & Top 250 VIP Club members.