How to train for the MuckFest MS 5K mud and fun run
MuckFest® MS is a 5K run, but it also has the added benefits of mud and water and outrageous obstacles, and mud, and did we mention mud? So keep in mind that there are additional physical demands on the course.
Some of you will run the entire course like it's the Olympics. Some of you will run and walk and stop to chat. Some of you will run, skip and occasionally do the Funky Chicken. That’s fine, whatever lights your fire. The point is that you can conquer the MuckFest MS course in whatever manner suits you. We won't even make you do push-ups if you skip an obstacle, but we might put your face up on the Jumbotron. (We don't have a Jumbotron.)
How you train and for how long are dependent on you. You know best how you can handle the physical demands of running, jumping, swinging, climbing, swimming and celebrating (at the finish line and in the MuckFestival area). So, whatever your fitness level, being prepared for the run allows you to have the best MuckFest experience possible.
Mental Preparation: The Five Psychological States of MuckFest MS
There are five identified psychological states associated with participating in a MuckFest MS event. The duration and severity of the symptoms below may vary, but know the warning signs:
1. Pleasant Self-Satisfaction occurs shortly after registering for MuckFest MS, marked by slightly increased pulse rate and sometimes includes a lot of smiling and nodding while looking in the mirror.
2. Gleeful Outbursts – spontaneous exclamations of joy usually during physical activity, sometimes associated with thoughts of muddy conquest.
3. Extreme Anticipation marked by persistent heart-pounding and for some, an uncontrollable urge to just run. Look for this symptom as you watch an earlier wave of runners slip and slide through the beginning of the course.
4. Euphoria can occur on the Spinner or the Swing Set or one of the other 20+ obstacles, and includes a shortness of breath due to laughing hysterically. Resist the urge to stop running and write a dirty limerick about how you feel; you can do that later over a beer in the MuckFestival area.
5. Longing – deep feelings of yearning for more MuckFest MS surface a week to 21 days after the event. The only known antidote is to register for next year's MuckFest MS and get your friends and family to join you.
Please note: any health, safety and training information provided to you in connection with your participation in MuckFest MS is not intended to replace or be construed as medical advice and any such information is not a substitute for seeking medical advice or treatment from your medical provider. Before starting any exercise program or following any recommendations, advice or other instructions regarding training for this event or any athletic event, you should first consult a physician and have a physical examination.