How to Turn in Donations
Where Your Money Goes
Know the facts about MS and how it affects people living with the disease. Provide your donors with information about where their money goes so that they know how they’re making a difference. Funds raised from MuckRuckus MS are vital in providing programs and services to 13,500 local families affected by MS.
Top 10 Participants
Top 10 Teams
Be an Ambassador
It only takes one person to inspire hundreds. As a MuckRuckus participant, you are a leader in the movement to create a world free of MS. Your personal experience can and will inspire others to donate, volunteer or even join the event themselves. By promoting MuckRuckus in your local community, you have the opportunity to be an ambassador for the National MS Society.
Use the tools on this page to make your mark against MS:
Fundraising is one of the most important elements of MuckRuckus MS Carolinas. Each runner is required to raise $100. The majority of participants go above and beyond the fundraising minimum. All donations to the National MS Society are tax-deductible.
Fundraising is as easy as 1, 2, 3...
Follow these simple steps:
Step #1 -- Know your networks
Make a list of every person you know -- the obvious (friends and family) and the not-so obvious (neighbors, acquaintances, business associates, team members, alumni associates, etc.). You have just created your donor list.
Step #2 -- Set your fundraising goal
Now that you know your networks, set your goal. The commitment for MuckRuckus is only $100, but aim high! Keep in mind that you will want an attainable goal and there is always an opportunity for adjust your goal throughout the MuckRuckus season. Once you've settled on your goal, make sure you log into your account and update it.
Step #3 -- Share your commitment and make a plan
You have created your donor list and set your goal; next comes what many people think is the hardest part of fundraising, the ASK. Tell everyone what you are doing -- the excitement is contagious and your story will inspire others. Articulate why you are taking on MuckRuckus MS Carolinas. Your commitment will be the reason they choose to give you a donation.
Now that you know the steps, it's time to get started.
Here are a few tools to help you achieve fundraising success.
Personal fundraising page: Did you know if you set up and actively update your personal page you can raise on average two to three times more? Your Walk Participant Center houses great online tools to make your fundraising fast and easy. After logging in with your username and password you created during registration, you'll have access to all of these online tools. You will be able to create a personal and team webpage, send fundraising and recruitment emails, check your progress, and create a blog - ALL IN ONE PLACE! Set up your own personal page today!
Fundraise through Facebook: Extend your fundraising efforts to your social network on Facebook using our Boundless Fundraising application. Through this application, you can do a variety of cool things. You can donate your profile picture by adding the MuckRuckus MS logo to spread awareness. You can also post messages to your news feed to ask your friends to support your efforts by donating online.
To add & use this application, follow the steps below:
- Go to http://www.facebook.com and log in or create a profile if you don't already have one.
- Log into your Participant Center using the username and password you used/created during registration.
- Click on the fundraise with Facebook button on your Participant Center homepage.
- Follow the directions on the Boundless Fundraising page to donate your profile picture or share a story in your news feed.
- Once you navigate away from the application, you can find it on the left hand side of your Facebook homepage. The application will simply be called National MS Society.
- Once a week, open the application, choose a way to "Get the Word Out" & watch the donations come in!
Fundraising Letter: Grab your holiday card list or your wedding invitee list and begin writing! Letters can expand your donor base to people you may not see on a regular basis. We have a sample fundraising letter available for your convenience. If writing your own letter, use these tips:
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your letter (your address, not ours).
- State your fundraising goal.
- Provide a description of MS and/or tell your story - show your passion for our mission.
- Consider adding suggested donation amounts (e.g. $50, $75, or $100) to your letter.
- Ask donors to make checks payable to the National MS Society and include your name and "MuckRuckus MS" in the memo line.
- State where the money goes—MS research, programs, services, and advocacy.
- Send thank-you notes as soon as people donate.
- View more letter writing tips (PDF)
- Sample Fundraising Letter (Word Document)
Matching Gifts*: Many companies have matching gift programs where they match up to 100% of their employees' charitable donations. Be sure to ask your company - and prompt your donors to ask their companies - about matching gift programs. After applying for any available matching gifts, please submit a copy of the form/email confirmation to the National MS Society in your money collection envelope. If you have questions about matching gifts, contact Ashley Gaines at Ashley.Gaines@nmss.org.
*Matching gifts does not count towards fundraising minimum. You are required to raise $100 before matching gifts are counted towards your total.
Mini Fundraising Ideas: These mini fundraisers take hardly any time to plan and execute!
- Include a plug for your fundraising efforts in your voicemail and in the signature of your email.
- Use special occasions (big sporting events, birthdays, etc.) to host a pledge party. You can ask for donations in lieu of gifts or just ask for donations!
- Host a bake sale, craft sale, or garage sale at your local place of worship, school, or in your neighborhood.
- Get local companies involved. For example, ask a restaurant if they will host an MS night where a portion of the sales goes toward the mission. Or, ask local retailers or service providers to donate a product or service that you can raffle off.
- Plan a tournament—bowling, golf, tennis, poker, pool, etc.—where the proceeds go toward your fundraising goal.
- Need additional ideas? 120 FUNdraising Ideas (PDF)
Making a team t-shirt or need a logo for an upcoming fundraising event? Click here to download the official MuckRuckus MS Carolinas logo.