Your first Bike MS experience will be one you always remember.
Whether you're a veteran cyclist or you're new to the sport, if you're new to Bike MS we want to ensure your first experience is the best it can be. The New Rider program is dedicated to making this happen!
"I just wanted to say thank you for making this ride such a great experience! I was a rookie rider and everything was great! The volunteers were awesome at every rest stop, the DJ's were great, and the whole experience of riding was amazing!! I am so excited for next year and I am so thankful that so many people take their weekend to volunteer, ride and help out! It is amazing that you get so much support and encouragement for a bike ride!! This was an experience that I will never forget!!!"
- Walter Hummel
"This was my first year riding in Bike MS and I was extremely impressed; it was one of the best experiences of my life. To be a part of such an enormous event that ultimately helps so many with MS was exhilarating. Already looking forward to next year."
- Tom Maxwell
Tips for a great experience
1. Make sure you are in the know!
- Read the monthly New Rider Updates and all other emails from you receive from your local Bike MS team, for important ride information and updates.
- Read and reference the Cyclist Handbook sent to each cyclist
- Use BikeMS.org as your go-to source for ride information, especially the News & FAQs.
- If you have any questions or needs, please do not hesitate to contact us [link to chapter email] for more information
2. Connect with other Bike MS cyclists
- Attend the Rider Expo, a Bike MS Happy Hour, and/or a sponsoring bike shop training rides
- Recruit others to join you! It's more fun when you ride with a friend. Use your Participant Center to send emails, or download photos and videos 6.9.2, or request free promotional materials [link to chapter email] to tell others about Bike MS.
- Connect with us on social media:
3. Don't wait to begin fundraising
- Don't let the $___ minimum intimidate you - the average Bike MS cyclist raises more than $780! Raise $___ or more and become a member of the exclusive VIP Club. It's not hard to get there, and we're here to help you along the way.
- Tell your donors why you are riding and how their dollars make a difference
- Log into your Participant Center to update your goal as you reach it
- Check out these Fundraising Tips and Tools for additional ideas and resources
4. Start training now and learn how to ride in a crowd
- Set realistic goals and keep track of your mileage
- Take a Group Riding Skills Course in at a local bike shop. With so many cyclists on the road, it's important that everyone is a responsible cyclist.
- Check out sponsoring bike shop training rides
- Take advantage of your free subscription to TrainingPeaks
- Get Ready to Ride with tips on what to wear, nutrition, hydration, and bike maintenance.
5. Make your ride meaningful
- Wear your “I Ride For…” bib, included in your rider number packet, ride weekend
- Find out why others ride and get inspired
- If you are living with MS, participate in the 'I Ride With MS' program
6. At the ride
- Visit the New Rider Tents at the start line to ask questions, meet other first-time Bike MS cyclists, get your bike checked, and receive FREE giveaways
- Wear padded shorts and gloves
- Stay hydrated by drinking before you become thirsty. Rest stops along the route will be fully stocked. Learn more about proper hydration and nutrition.
7. Experience the finish line
- After crossing the finish line to an abundance of cheering spectators, have your commemorative photo taken, collect your t-shirt, visit the New Rider Tent to win great prizes, and enjoy all the finish line has to offer.