Get ready for the ride of your life!
Whether you're a veteran cyclist or you're new to the sport, if you're new to Bike MS we want to ensure your first experience is the best it can be.
I just wanted to say thank you for making this ride such a great experience! I was a rookie rider and everything was great! The volunteers were awesome at every rest stop, the DJ's were great, and the whole experience of riding was amazing!! I am so excited for next year and I am so thankful that so many people take their weekend to volunteer, ride and help out! It is amazing that you get so much support and encouragement for a bike ride!! This was an experience that I will never forget!!!"
This was my first year riding in Bike MS and I was extremely impressed; it was one of the best experiences of my life. To be a part of such an enormous event that ultimately helps so many with MS was exhilarating. Already looking forward to next year."
Tips for a great experience
1. Make sure you are in the know!
- Read the monthly New Rider Updates and all other emails you receive from your local Bike MS team, for important ride information and updates.
- Read and reference the Cyclist Handbook sent to each cyclist.
- Use bikeMS.org as your go-to source for ride information, especially the FAQs.
- If you have any questions or needs, please do not hesitate to contact us.
2. Connect with other Bike MS cyclists
3. Don't wait to begin fundraising
- Don't let the $250 minimum intimidate you - the average Bike MS cyclist raises on average $750! Raise $1000 or more and become a member of the exclusive VIP Club. It's not hard to get there, and we're here to help you along the way.
- Tell your donors why you are riding and how their dollars make a difference.
- Log into your Participant Center to update your goal as you reach it.
- Check out these Fundraising Tips and Tools for additional ideas and resources.
4. Start training now and learn how to ride in a crowd
- Set realistic goals and keep track of your mileage.
- Take a Group Riding Skills Course at a local bike shop. With so many cyclists on the road, it's important that everyone is a responsible cyclist. Learn the rules of the road and safe cycling practices.
- Check out sponsoring bike shop training rides.
- Take advantage of your free subscription to TrainingPeaks.
5. Make your ride meaningful
- Wear your “I Ride For…” bib, included in your rider number packet, ride weekend.
- Find out why others ride and get inspired.
- If you are living with MS, participate in the 'I Ride With MS' program.
6. At the ride
- Visit the New Rider Tents at the start line to ask questions, meet other first-time Bike MS cyclists, get your bike checked, and receive FREE giveaways.
- Wear padded shorts and gloves. Check out Ride Day Info for more advice on what to wear for ride day.
- Stay hydrated by drinking before you become thirsty. Rest stops along the route will be fully stocked. Learn more about proper hydration and nutrition.
7. Experience the finish line
- After crossing the finish line to an abundance of cheering spectators, have your commemorative photo taken, collect your t-shirt, visit the New Rider Tent to win great prizes, and enjoy all the finish line has to offer.